Sunday, May 3, 2009

BBQ


I want to officially go on record that I LOVE Redd's BBQ in Simi.
I am however realizing that while Redd's is quite good..great even, that real barbecue is east. 1442 mile east to be exact. There are so many barbecue's out here it is not funny. The guys have made it a quest to try every one of them..good luck with that! I have tried 4 different one's and surprising find that I love each one. There is not better out here, just different. Everyone does things a little different, has different sides and especially has different sauces. So far Redd's is still my favorite sauce. Out here the sauces are more smokey in flavor and little peppery. The difference here is the meat. They do not have tri-tip per se. The tri-tip cut is part of what is called brisket. The specialties out here are brisket, ribs (beef and pork), and of all things sausage. There is a huge European community out here(Germans). That is why all of the towns have German names. Getting back to the meat. The secret out here is that they cook the meat all day. The flavors and especially the texture is just beyond words. The meat just falls off the bone and melts in your mouth. The brisket is the same. What they do is that they make a certain amount of meat in a day. When they run out.. they run out. This is because the meat needs to slow cook all day. I would have to say my favorite so far is RUDY's..the sign say "Worst BBQ in Texas". Yeah right!! Rudy's is behind a route 66 gas station and is so far what I would say is the best BBQ I have ever had. They have every drink you can imagine in bottle form. You get your meal in a tray(see picture above) and no plates. They give you your meat on butcher paper. What puts this one over the top is their creamed corn. Oh and they give you about a quarter loaf of fresh, soft sliced white bread with every order. The best I have ever had!! Dalton will be so happy with the creamed corn!!!
I cannot wait to take everyone to Rudy's, the Worst BBQ in Texas!!

1 comment:

  1. Can I come too? Or, you can overnight some fab bbq for me. There really isn't any excellent bbq here in Utah, sad to say!

    ReplyDelete